Dewars Lane Granary, Berwick-upon-Tweed
Construction cost £4.0M
Conversion and extension of an existing granary building to form a Bistro and Cultural Centre and new Youth Hostel Accommodation complete with a new two storey Annexe Building. The Granary is a Grade II listed building.
Work involved the erection of structural scaffold shoring system to retain the external walls whilst a new steel frame was constructed within - the frame sits on new piled foundations. The existing ground floor was excavated to a new reduced formation level to allow a new concrete floor to be installed.
- A new roof was erected.
- Extensive stonework refurbishment.
- New windows and doors.
- New mechanical and electrical system was installed to serve both the domestic works (youth hostel) and commercial works (Bistro & Cultural Centre).
- Three two storey glazed pavilions were built to provide both an Architectural feature and allow light into the ground and first floor areas.
- A new hydraulic lift serving all floors has been installed within a new lift shaft.
- Underpinning work was undertaken to the main structure where it abuts an adjacent residential dwelling.